Ever notice that IT teams are kind of homogeneous? You’re not the only one. An article in a technology publication states, “Over the past few years, the number of women and underrepresented minorities in IT has been dropping steadily.” The article suggests that employers:
• Adjust the language in your job description.
• Recruit at women’s and minority-serving institutions.
• Reach out through professional groups and attend job fairs for minorities and women in IT.
• Promote work/life balance and a flexible workplace.
• Focus on service delivery and IT’s role in the big picture.
• Make time for training and skills advancement during the workday.
• Set up mentoring programs, affinity groups, and communities for women and underrepresented minorities.